Wow, I am exhausted. And happy.
This week has been all about writing my novel. Last week, my dissertation advisor gave me the hard advice — but correct advice — to remove a major character from the book, and to re-structure the story as a result. I spent a couple of days weighing up this advice, decided that it was good, and then I got to work.
After a LOT of writing this week, I have revised, at least in rough form, the first section of my novel. It’s 42,000 words long, the first of three separate “books” that make up the whole novel.
In other words, I have written, edited, and copy / pasted from the previous version 42,000 words in one single week. The new version is much better: the final scene of the section is much more powerful.
I finished it yesterday at lunchtime, and in the afternoon and evening began planning out the revised second section. It’s about the same length as the first: and I had never been able to figure out how to really write it: the story kept ballooning, slipping out of my hands. Now, I think I can write it. Removing a big character, I’m learning, can make everything else a lot simpler.
This morning, I began revising section two of the novel, adjusting old scenes, typing out new ones. I’m now a few thousand words in.
This is a great feeling, to be making so much progress, but I’m looking forward to having a break over the weekend. My brain is starting to feel a little strange.
Best wishes with your writing,
(I’m only able to write this much, of course, because of the course-load reductions I’ve applied for and been awarded, fellowships sponsored by my university that mean I don’t have to teach at all this semester. It’s great to be putting the free time to good use.)